- What data do we leave behind while surfing the web and using social media?
- How do algorithms draw conclusions about us?
- Do social media really listen in on our conversations in order to target us with ads?
- How safe is GPS for us?
- Are public networks safe? Should I use it?
- What are other negative aspects?
- And what about positive aspects?
- Do IT platforms protect user data?
- Is it possible to leave zero digital footprints?
Social Media Knows Everything: Threats and Risks
We all have social media, and some of us even have several personal accounts. We take our profiles seriously: share a lot of information about ourselves and our personal life, as well as post a bunch of photos. We also google things, browse the net, and use online maps for navigation – basically, we can't go through a day without the Internet. Ksenia Buraya, a casual staff at ITMO’s Machine Learning Lab and a VK programmer, explains what a digital footprint is and why it is dangerous to overshare on social media.